Serving Ice Cold Glasses Of...
*Tracks in the middle of the post*
Well, well. Back again for Tuesday the 26th of April. Is it me or has this month gone by hella quick? Maybe it's just me. The NBA playoffs are here and I've actually been watching some of the games. The Houston/Dallas series makes me want to watch basketball again. I'm not even going to try to decipher the games for you. If you want to see the bestest (that's right I said it) on that, hit up Joey at SB (check the links fool!).
I think the last time I watched a pro basketball game that wasn't the Wiz, was back during Jordan Part Duex, Bulls edition. That's sad to me, but I guess I was preoccupied in trying to learn how to attack a 4-3 Defense with the Flex Bone offense. It's bananas! The Nats (seriously, all of the teams in Washington have the corniest nicknames, i.e. Nats, Skins, Zards or Wiz, Caps) are back to where they should be, .500. I can hear tomorrow's John Thompson show where Smokin' Al Coken will be lobbing verbal grenades at the Nats cause they aren't living up to their "potential".
Let me discuss this for a minute. (RANT ALERT!!!!). We have not had a team in DC since, oh, 1834 or so right? Sho' Nuff. This is basically the Montreal Expos (a team that was owned and gutted by the other owners in MLB) with new unis, right? Sho' Nuff. And the baseball season is about as long as the first Ming dynasty, right? Sho' Nuff. And what do the local sports "heads" do? Slam them for not being a good enough team. Brilliant! What a way to welcome these guys to our fair city. I always felt that certain radio people in this area (and in other markets) exist only to piss people off with some of the most retardedest (new word alert!) nonsense to come out of someone's mouth since Rush Limbaugh vs. Black Quarterbacks. Seriously, can we bring back the practice of tarring and feathering violators of good decency? Thoughts?
For the music selections today, I'd like to do a little eclectic mix of some of the recent additions to the iTunes Massive. So I hope you enjoy.
Dirty Harry - Gorillaz feat. Booty Brown from Pharcyde
Untitled - Del, Pep Love, A-Plus
Shorty Swing My Way - KP & Envyi
If you are not familiar with The Gorillaz, here is a quick rundown of how they catch wreck. Their first album, Gorillaz, was both a critical and commercial success. Featuring the fly ass first single and video for Clint Eastwood (has a commercial before it), it was one of the best albums released that year. The concept, artwork, and music are all super mark duper dopeness in my humble musical opinion. Anyhow, they are coming out with their second LP, Demon Days, in early May.
I got my hands on a preview copy of the LP and let me tell you, it's as good, if not slightly more complete than the debut. Gone is Dan The Automater as the main producer and in comes DJ Dangermouse of "Grey Album" fame. He does a pretty good job of creating a different sound than Automater did, but it's still a solid effort. Guest shots from Booty Brown, De La Soul, MF Doom (this cat is everywhere these days), and others help cover the space and talent left by Del's absence. So when it comes out, you know what to do...COP THAT SHIT! Matter fact, cop the first one while you wait for the other to come out.
By this point in the life of The Funk, you probably realize that I'm a huge Hieroglyphics fan. That being said, I found this little unreleased ditty (speaking of, whatever happened to Paperboy?) the other day and felt it worthy enough to share with the masses. Right off the bat, you can tell that one, the sound is a little muffled (sounds good on headphones though), and Pep Lover rides this track like The Urban Myth rides Spurrier's jock. Del is up next and does his thing as well. Pleezy comes in third and his vocals are a tad low but you can still get the gist of it. Supposedly, according to the liner notes of Opio's last album, A-Plus is coming out with his solo album this year. That should be a pretty good album.
The last selection is pure 1997-98 Randolph Macon Theta Chi Attic Party madness. Nothing real special about this song. The group itself was made up of a MC Lyte lookalike/wannabe (remember when Lyte did that song with the Swedish Pop Singer Robin?) and a chick who was a dead ringer for this lady I was dating at the time...Yes, Boogs/Mo/any other BAN brother reading this...you know who I'm referring to. Check the ultra budget video here, along with a ton of other videos.
So there you have the Tuesday edition of Chez Funk. I might be going to watch the Nationals play ball tonight, weather permitting. So now, I am going to get working on this business plan and then take the rest of the day off. Deal with it fool!
Easy-
Bruh B.
* Bonus Ish...
1. The video for the Gorillaz first single, "Feel Good, Inc.", is hella dope. Check it out here.
2. Whoever left me a message on the comments the other day about the FSU videos, hit me up via email and I can send them to you.
<< Home