Wednesday, March 30, 2005

7th Grade Dances Soundtrack Excerpts...


Sensitivity - Ralph Tresvant
If It Isn't Love - New Edition
Close To You - Maxi Priest
Rhythm Nation - Janet Jackson
Alright - Janet Jackson feat. Heavy D

I know that it's "Back In The Day Week" and all but I'd like to change up the format a bit for today. First off, blogger.com was down when I tried to post earlier so hopefully it'll be good when this goes through. Secondly, I'm making this blend tape (pardon me, Mix CD) of some of the best R&B hits from the early to mid 90's and felt compelled to post them for our loyal readership. Hope you enjoy!

First up today is the seminal classic by one time/still is member of New Edition, Ralph Tresvant. Sensitivity is one of those tracks that was played every other week during the 7th/8th grade dances we had at the Herndon Community Center back in the day. All the women were in love with Ralph back then so in turn, we liked this song. The song had a purpose as well. If you (as an impressionable 7th grader) liked a girl who was at the moment "involved", you could always call up WPGC and dedicate this song to that particular girl. Of course, if one of your boys heard that you did this, you'd be clowned for the remainder of the school year and in some cases, for the remainder of your life (Damn you Kwarteng!!!!!!) This song could speak for the men in the audience who had a little trouble approaching the females back then. It was a gem in our arsenal of pubescent attack formations. Anyhow, I'd bet that if you played this track during the dessert part of that dinner you are planning for your honey, you'd like the results. But that's just a suggestion. Here's to Ralph.

Secondly, New Edition's "If It Isn't Love" calls to that same time in space when "manly" 13 year olds could express their feelings for girls vicariously through music. Not that it doesn't happen today, but hey I liked the stuff we had to listen to back then. Today's stuff is bamafied. But call me a grinch, as Common once said " If I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean that I'm hatin"...I'm rambling on however. But seriously, if you were in love and you decided to ask yourself if it wasn't really love, why does it hurt so bad, what would you answer? Discuss! Side note: Remember the video for this song? Wasn't Jamie Foxx in it?

Third, the classic dancehall/R&B hit from my boy Maxi Priest, "Close to You". I seriously remember a time at one of those Middle School dances where John Pugh and I were doing the Kid N Play routine to this song in front of the whole place. Everybody loved it. Later on I figured out that it's prolly not productive to be doing a dance routine with a homeboy of yours when you could be pressed up on a willing and able female. That's knowledge kids. The song's smoothed out flow and it's almost go-go-esque drum patterns made it a very dance worthy hit, which it still is. It reminds me of that trip I was on to the Boracay Islands in the Philippines. Good times.

Finally, we have two hits from Janet Jackson. You know Janet right? The Janet before the SuperBowl Janet? These are two of my favorite tracks from her back then. Rhythm Nation holds significance as the first track ever played in my Dad's brand new 1989 Honda Prelude. Alright has the distinction of being the last song I was ever allowed to play in the same car. If you know my dad, it amazed me that he let me take out his Sam & Dave tape to play some Janet. It lasted all of two songs...which by my calculations was the longest he had ever listened to a Janet track. And that includes before and til this day. My question to you all is, are we still part of an Independent Rhythm Nation or have we become mere pawns for corporate marketing goons?

Also as a special bonus submission today, we have Terrible Terry Tate's first full length video, "Terry's World". If you work in a office environment, you know that some days you need a Terry Tate to police the shenanigans. If you work in an office environment and are a former football player, you want to be Terry Tate. Man that would be sweet.

Side Note 2: RIP Johnny Cochran. Forever linked to OJ, but he did some other good work in his career. Whatever your politics/opinions of Cochran's methods, it's worthy of a mention.

Side Note 3: Peep this great article from Funk Digital about Hip Hop today. (Scooped from Straight Bangin', who scooped it from Funk Digital).

I'll be back for tomorrow hopefully with some more "Back In The Days" themed material. If Not, I'm sure I can substitute it with more Funky hits.

Keep It Funkin'
Brother B.

DISCLAIMER: ALLTHANGSFUNKY exists for the purpose of sharing good, classic funky type music to the masses. Our files are deleted from our site 7 days after posting. If anyone has an issue with us posting their original recordings, please email us at brotherbeee@gmail.com. Keep It Funkin'